Kg. Ulu Tual, Pos Sinderut, Pahang

I joined my colleagues from the infrastructure team to another medical camp held at Kg. Ulu Tual, Pos Sinderut, Pahang. This was also my first time to step into a Semai village.

Akiu (right) is my colleague from the Semai ethnic group, which is one of the largest indigenous ethnic groups in the Peninsula Malaysia.

Some villagers went upstream to catch some fish for their next meal.

Ahing (left), Dr. Nason & Sylvia (right) were trying really hard to power up the generator.

A Rafflesia flower bud spotted in the forest!

The motorcyclist gang

Beautiful children.

Say cheese! =)

I got this look from kampung kids all the time. Haha

The ladies from Kampung Jangap were waiting patiently for their turn to receive free medical services.

Villagers from Kampung Jangap, Pos Sinderut.

The girls hit the floor rhythmically with the bamboos while the man will sing accordingly to the rhythm. Others will then dance in a circle. The whole performance is called "Sewang", which is a traditional dance of the Orang Asli. "Sewang" was originally performed for funeral, for thanksgiving, or to treat the sick or wounded, and now it is also used to entertain guests.

Girl at the right teaching Dr. Christine (left) how to weave a headdress using the leaves.

From the left: Melissa (volunteer pharmacist), me, the adorable Semai kids & Dr.Tajudin (volunteer doctor).
(This is the most decent photo taken by Carrot using my camera)

I was really amazed to see how close is the bond between my colleague and the boys from the village. They would hug him tightly to sleep every night whenever he was there. 

My colleague, Carrot (right) and his foster father, Tok Batin (village chief).

Bamboo steam rice in the making. Firstly, wrap the rice with leaves. Insert the wraps carefully into the bamboos which are already filled with water. Next, place the bamboos over the campfire and wait for 30 to 40 minutes until the rice is cooked thoroughly.


Comments